- Who We Are
- Who We Serve
- Our Services
- Client Access
Our Investment Philosophy
We believe the majority of retail wealth managers merely charge client's a "hand-holding fee" and outsource portfolio management to third party mutual fund companies who also charge a fee. History shows us that over the long term, the majority of mutual fund companies underperform the benchmark. Therefore, we believe the average retail investor experiences sub-par investments returns, further diminished by both advisor fees and mutual fund fees. We believe our researched Core Philosophies offer a better way to invest…
- We believe a Systematic, Quantitative, and Dynamic (QSD) approach must be an integral aspect of the portfolio management process. Disciplined and repeatable processes are more reliable than ad-hoc discretionary judgment. Research shows us that passive investment strategy outperforms active money management most of the time. But, research also shows that systematic, factor-based investment strategy outperforms passive money management most of the time.
- We believe extraordinary performance comes only from correct non-consensus forecasts. You can’t do the same things others do and expect to outperform. Unconventionality is not our goal, but rather our way of thinking. Many of the best bargains at any point in time are found among the things other investors can’t or won’t do. Prepare your portfolio for short term falls but always stick your convictions.
“Think Differently, Invest Differently” ~ Christian J. Cyr
- We believe in Research/Evidenced-based Investing, not story based-investing. Rigorous, data-driven research drives success; stories drive sales.
- We believe over the long term, the best way to make money is not to lose it. We seek to win by not striking out, rather than by hitting grand slams. We allow ourselves the opportunity to participate on the upside… while focusing on protecting ourselves on the downside.
- We believe successful long-term investing is profiting from mean reversion and hence, value.
"Investment success doesn’t come from buying good things, but rather from buying things well.” ~ Howard Marks
- We believe in transparency when it comes to fees and strategies, not black-boxes. We are committed to having investors understand what we are doing and exactly how much they are paying.
- We believe in providing low cost portfolios which includes…
- underlying investment costs under 0.6%
- zero custodial account fees
- some of industry's lowest transaction fees
- We believe the two most important factors in building portfolio wealth are time and contribution. We believe it is crucial to invest over a long time horizon. No strategy in the world will add more wealth to your portfolio than consistent contributions to your portfolio over many years.
- We believe tax mitigation strategies are at least as important as any other element of a comprehensive financial plan. It is critical to understand an investor's tax situation. Portfolio management should include tax loss harvesting and tax efficient allocation of securities between taxable and tax deferred accounts. We believe these practices can significantly add to investor real returns.
- The Average Investor Needs Help – Studies show that the average investor….
- Over-reacts to market movements and news
- Stays in an investment for an insufficient length of time to derive the benefits of the investment
- Incorrectly guesses the timing of their purchases 37% of the time
- Suffers chronic investment return shortfall due to ill-fated psychological factors
Christian J. Cyr
Christian J. Cyr, CPA
President, Cyr Financial Inc.